Another motion filed to stop Marcos burial at Libingan | Inquirer News

Another motion filed to stop Marcos burial at Libingan

/ 05:29 PM November 11, 2016

Calls are mounting to stop anew the interment of former dictator Ferdinand Marcos at the Libingan ng mga Bayani (LNMB) as another human rights advocates’ group prepares to file an urgent motion in the Supreme Court pending finality of its decision.

In a seven-page extremely urgent motion, former Bayan party-list representative Satur Ocampo, through the National Union of People’s Lawyers (NUPL), said a status quo ante order (SQA) was necessary in order not to render moot the motion for reconsideration of the court decision that they intend to file soon.

ADVERTISEMENT

On Nov. 8, voting 9-5, the high court dismissed the seven petitions urging the high court to stop President Rodrigo Duterte from pushing through with Marcos’ burial at the LNMB.

The high court in its ruling said the President did not violate the law but merely exercised his mandate under the 1987 Constitution.

FEATURED STORIES

It also held that Marcos possessed the qualifications to be interred at the Libingan as a “former president and commander-in-chief, a legislator, a secretary of national defense, a military personnel, a veteran and a Medal of Valor awardee.”

The NUPL said there was a need for the issuance of a status quo ante order considering that there had been reports that preparations for the interment of former President Ferdinand Marcos Sr. were already being undertaken by the government and the Marcos family even if the decision was not yet final and executory.

“It is respectfully prayed of this honorable court to direct respondents to hold in abeyance or refrain from executing any plans on the interment of the remains of Marcos Sr. at the Libingan pending the formal service of the decision to petitioners, the resolution of the motion for reconsideration to be filed by petitioners and the finality of the honorable court’s decision,” petitioners said.

The NUPL contends the interment cannot be allowed pending the finality of the decision.

“The hasty interment of Marcos Sr. in the LNMB will render moot the motion for reconsideration yet to be filed by petitioners after receipt of the official copy of this honorable court’s decision. Petitioners are asking respondents to respect their right to due process as well as that of other human rights violations’ victims who will be seeking the reversal of the honorable court’s decision,” the motion stated.

Petitioners also urged the high court to remind the respondents that preparations for the burial could not push through because the decision was not yet final and motions for reconsideration would still be filed.

“Despite the fact that the decision is not final and executory and considering that the period for the filing of a motion for reconsideration has not even commenced, there have been reports that the preparations for the interment of former President Ferdinand Marcos Sr. are being undertaken by respondents causing concern among petitioners that his remains may be hastily transferred to the Libingan ng mga Bayani even before the filing of a motion for reconsideration by petitioners or during its pendency.”

ADVERTISEMENT

The NUPL further argued that a hasty interment of the remains of Marcos Sr. would result in a grave and irreparable injury to the petitioners’ rights because it would send the message that the late dictator was a hero.

“Sending this message, which, once made cannot be taken back, is injurious to the victims of human rights violations during martial law as it honors their tormentor and puts into question their claims as victims of human rights violations committed by Marcos Sr. and his henchmen during those dark and bloody days,” the petitioners pointed out.

“It is also injurious to the Filipino people who suffered from poverty through those years as a result of the plunder of public funds by Marcos Sr.”

The petitioners noted that Marcos’ remains had been interred for two decades in a crypt in Ilocos Norte, thus, the Marcos family would not suffer grave and irreparable injury if the court issued an SQA pending the finality of its decision.

“On the contrary, his hasty interment would only complicate the situation, especially if the decision was reversed on reconsideration, as this would entail the exhumation of his remains and its reinterment in Ilocos.”/rga

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Ferdinand Marcos, Marcos burial, National Union of People’s Lawyers, Satur Ocampo, Supreme Court
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.