Bato: PNP ‘winning war on drugs’ in Duterte’s first 100 days
The Philippine National Police (PNP) is, so far, winning the war against drugs, PNP chief Dir. Gen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa said Monday.
Asked to give an assessment of the first 100 days of the government’s intensive campaign against illegal drugs, Dela Rosa, in a press briefing at Camp Crame, said: “One sentence. We are winning the war on drugs. We are winning.”
After the media briefing, Dela Rosa proceeded to the Senate to participate in the ongoing inquiry on the rising number of extrajudicial killings in the country since the drug war started.
Latest statistics from the PNP showed that at least 3,441 individuals died—1,375 in legitimate police operations, 2,066 “deaths under investigation”—since President Duterte assumed office up to October.
Those recorded under deaths under investigation are not necessarily killed vigilante-style, according PNP spokesperson Senior Supt. Dionardo Carlos. “These are murder and homicide cases still under investigation,” he said.
A total of 22,387 drug personalities have been arrested in 23,474 operations under “Oplan Double Barrel” conducted from July 1.
Under the “Oplan Tokhang,” the police visited 1,601,691 houses of drug users and pushers. This led to the surrender of 732,115 drug personalities, 52,812 pushers and 679,303 users.
Meanwhile, 13 policemen have been killed while 38 were injured amid the bloody war against drugs. Three members of the military also died while eight sustained injuries. JE/rga
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.