Close  

Wounded Surigao radioman wants brains behind attack identified

'Case not solved with arrest of teen hitman'
/ 12:18 AM September 26, 2016
INQUIRER FILE PHOTO

INQUIRER FILE PHOTO

SURIGAO CITY – Despite the cases filed against a teenager tagged as the gunman in the shooting of a radioman, his son and a bystander here, the victims said closure would only happen if the mastermind was identified and charged as well.

Police have identified an 18-year old boy as the gunman behind the June 30 attack that wounded RMN-Surigao anchorman Saturnino Estanio Jr. and his 12-year old son, JV, and bystander Allan Canibel, 52.

ADVERTISEMENT

The suspect, who turned 18 on September 5, was arrested on a separate robbery case last month, according to the charge sheet filed before the Prosecutor’s Office on September 13.

But the elder Estanio sees no closure with the suspect’s arrest, saying authorities must dig deeper into the case to find out who ordered the attack and the motive behind it.

Although Estanio and Canibel pinpointed the suspect through a cartographic sketch provided by the police, their identification of him was tentative at best.

“I’m not 100 percent sure that he was the gunman because the events unfolded so fast,” said Estanio, who sustained three bullet wounds at the back but still managed to drive himself and his son to the hospital.

Canibel, a neighbor who got hit by a wayward bullet and sustained non-life threatening injury, agreed.

“I’m not really sure if it was him, but there is resemblance,” he told the Philippine Daily Inquirer.

He disclosed that he identified the suspect based on a photo presented by the police.

“The suspect’s arrest should not give the police the excuse to stop investigating further, especially because the mastermind is still out there,” the broadcaster said.

The second suspect who drove the motorcycle used in the attack, he added, has not been found.

ADVERTISEMENT

Estanio believes the attack is work-related, pointing out that prior to the attempt on his life, his nightly hard-hitting commentaries had touched on illegal drugs and illegal gambling issues in Surigao del Norte.

Estanio was the first journalist to suffer violence under President Rodrigo Duterte’s administration. The attack happened just hours after the new president was sworn into office.  SFM

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Allan Canibel, attacks on journalists, broadcast journalists, Crime, crime suspect, crime victims, frustrated murder, Hitmen, Justice, juvenile delinquents, JV Estanio, law, minors tagged in crimes, murder attempt, news, Police, police investigation, radio anchors, radio commentators, Regions, RMN-Surigao, Saturnino Estanio Jr., Shooting, Surigao del Norte, youths tagged in crimes
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.