Bato: 2 types of mortar used in Davao bombing
ZAMBOANGA CITY—Two types of mortar were used in the improvised bomb that exploded at a night market in Davao City on Sept. 2, leaving 14 people dead and at least 67 others wounded.
Philippine National Police Director General Ronald dela Rosa said the bomb was a combination of an 81mm and 60mm mortars tied with a wire.
“It was meant to explode together. [The bomber’s] intention was to cause maximum casualty,” Dela Rosa, who visited this city on Tuesday, said.
He said mortar bombs are known to be used by the Central Mindanao-based group of Abdulbasit Usman and Abdulmunap Mentang, who were engaged in selling bombs and were trained by slain Jemaah Islamiyah bomb maker Zulkilfi bin Hir alias “Marwan.”
“But I am not saying they are behind the explosion since Marwan and Usman had been killed already,” Dela Rosa said.
While the bomb’s “trademark” was from Central Mindanao, Dela Rosa said he was “not zeroing [in on] any group.”
He said past bombings in Davao City also indicated that some of the improvised explosives were made of mortar.
He said police have eight witnesses, including some blast victims who are recuperating in different hospitals.
In Davao City, the city council on Tuesday approved the release of P4.5 million as cash assistance for the victims of the blast.
The families of those who died will receive P40,000 each while those wounded will get P30,000.
The city government will also shoulder the food expenses during the wake of the 14 victims for a maximum of 10 days, and the meals of watchers of injured victims for 20 days, the City Information Office in Davao said.
On Tuesday afternoon, at least three schools in Davao City received bomb threats, creating panic among students, teachers and parents.
The Davao City police said a bomb scare was first reported at Sta. Ana National High School in Barangay 28-C.
“It was immediately checked by responding authorities and [the school] was declared clear from any explosives,” said Senior Insp. Catherine dela Rey, city police spokesperson.
Another bomb threat was reported at Obrero Campus of University of Southeastern Philippines (Usep), one of the biggest universities in Davao City. It was followed by a similar threat at Mintal Campus of Usep, Dela Rey said. Julie S. Alipala and Karlos Manlupig, Inquirer Mindanao
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.