Saturday, November 17, 2018
Close  
  • share this

Abu Sayyaf claims responsibility for Davao blast–Sueno

/ 08:34 AM September 03, 2016

The Abu Sayyaf group has claimed responsibility for the explosion in a Davao City night market, Friday, that killed at least 14 and wounded 71 others, Department of Interior and Local Government Secretary Mike Sueno said.

In an interview with DZRH News on Saturday morning, Sueno said that the terrorist group has claimed responsibility for the blast, adding that his office already had information about a possible attack from the Abu Sayyaf days ahead.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Yes. We expected this already. Two or three days ago pa may intelligence na tayo about this,” Sueno said.

Radio DZMM also reported that Abu Sayyaf spokesperson Abu Rami said that the group owns up to the deadly attack.

FEATURED STORIES

READ: Death toll in Davao blast rises to 14, 71 others hurt | Vice Mayor Duterte got info on bomb threat 2 days ago

The blast came days after the government has announced that it is reinforcing its deployment in Sulu to counter the Abu Sayyaf, this after 15 soldiers were slain  by the terrorist group in  fierce clashes last week in Jolo.


READ: Army pours troops into pursuit; Abus ready for ‘last war’

Davao City mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio extended her condolences to the families of those who died in the night explosion.

“I would also like to reassure all of them, as well as the families of those who are injured that the City Government of Davao will assist in all their needs for hospitalization, burial, funeral and day to day expenses. I am sorry for what happened,” Carpio said in a statement.

The mayor also called on officials to do their duty within their bounds and urged Dabawenyos to remain vigilant.

ADVERTISEMENT

READ: Duterte: State of lawlessness, part of duty to protect PH

“I would like to remind other officials to stay within the bounds of their official duties according to their position. Please leave me in peace to do my job and I’ll leave you to focus on your own work,” she said.

“We will not be terrorized by this heinous crime and I call on all Dabawenyos to unite and let us help each other rise from this senseless incident. Let us remain vigilant, please report any and all suspicious activity, no matter how insignificant it may seem.”

Carpio added that a memorial will be held at the explosion site at 4 p.m. today where everyone is invited to offer prayers. CDG

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: abu sayyaf, Davao, Davao City, Davao Explosion, DILG, Explosion, Mike Sueno, Sara Duterte-Carpio, Terrorism
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2018 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.