outbrain
Close  

Basilan bishop backs Duterte order to ‘destroy’ Abu Sayyaf

/ 01:17 PM August 30, 2016
Bishop Martin Jumoad. FILE PHOTO

Bishop Martin Jumoad. FILE PHOTO

A Catholic bishop expressed his disdain over the Abu Sayyaf’s beheading of its 18-year-old captive.

Radyo Inquirer 990 AM reported that  Basilan-based prelate Martin Jumoad angrily condemned the Islamist group for decapitating Patrick Almodovar last week, after his family failed to come up with the P1 million ransom money.

ADVERTISEMENT

READ: Abu Sayyaf beheads 18-year-old hostage, tells family in Sulu

Jumoad insisted that the military should aggressively pursue the perpetrators whom he labelled as “terrorists.”

FEATURED STORIES

The bishop even said he would understand the need for bloodshed as means for self-defense in case members of the Abu Sayyaf refuse to willingly give themselves up and instead resort to violence.

Jumoad said that terrorism has been a major problem in the country since 1990, and added that he hopes that the military would follow President Rodrigo Duterte’s order “to kill” and “destroy” the bandit group. With a report from Ricky Brosas, Radyo Inquirer 990 AM/IDL

READ: Rody orders troops to ‘destroy’ Abus after beheading of hostage

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Abu Sayaff, Basilan Bishop Martin Jumoad, beheading, Patrick Almodovar, ransom, Rodrigo Duterte
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.