Recto wants Senate probe on Luzon brownouts
MANILA, Philippines— Senate Minority Leader Ralph Recto has called for an investigation into rolling power interruptions across Luzon, concerned that this might stymie the country’s economic growth and turn off potential foreign investors.
In a still unnumbered resolution filed Tuesday, Recto sought to know the status of power supply for the Luzon grid and find out why six power plants on the country’s biggest major island had to be shut down over last week, while three others were on limited capacity.
The country’s seat of government, major business districts and several industrial parks are located in Luzon.
“Power interruptions in Luzon could disrupt the economic growth momentum of the Philippines and could discourage potential foreign investors,” said Recto in his resolution, a copy of which was released to media on Wednesday.
He said the investigation sought to determine “measures that would further ensure a reliable and secure supply of electric power.”
Recto noted that power outages in the country cost P9.3 billion in economic losses, other than lost revenues of sectors affected by the unstable power supply.
The commercial sector accounts for the biggest share in total power consumption in the Luzon grid at 28.01, followed by homes at 26.62 percent, and industries at 25.99 percent. SFM