What went before: Oplan Rody
DAYS before President Duterte assumed office, police in Metro Manila launched “Oplan Rody” (Rid the Streets of Drunkards and Youths), rounding up minors violating the curfew, along with adults caught drinking liquor or shirtless in public.
Last month, Samahan ng Progresibong Kabataan (SPARK), a newly formed youth organization, called for the suspension of Oplan Rody until authorities modify the ordinance to take into consideration modern-day realities, while urging city councils to lay down mechanisms to ensure rights are protected.
On July 22, SPARK filed a petition for certiorari and prohibition in the Supreme Court protesting the “unjust and repressive” local laws, particularly in Manila, Quezon City and Navotas, and saying these restrict freedom of movement.
The three cities have implemented their curfew on minors from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. in line with Mr. Duterte’s campaign against crime and illegal drugs.
“The curfew ordinances are unconstitutional because it deprives minors of the right to liberty and the right to travel, without substantive due process,” the group said.
Some youths who attend classes and hold “legitimate activities” at night have cried foul, it said, especially since they also penalize parents with a jail term or a fine of up to P2,000.
“These ordinances are implemented without due consideration of important factors, such as the housing conditions in affected areas, hardships encountered in transportation, and the late shifts by affected students,” said SPARK spokesperson Joann Lim. Inquirer Research
Source: Inquirer Archives
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.