Thursday, November 15, 2018
Close  
  • share this

Jailed Davao del Sur gov indicted for pork barrel scam

/ 11:16 AM July 13, 2016

Ombudsman Conchita Carpio Morales has ordered the filing of graft, malversation, and direct bribery charges against detained Davao del Sur governor Douglas Cagas for his involvement in the Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF) fund scam.

An in-depth investigation launched by the Ombudsman showed that Cagas received P9.3 million in kickbacks after funneling P16 million of his PDAF to bogus non-government organizations (NGOs) controlled by co-accused Janet Lim Napoles.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Ombudsman said that Cagas requested the release of funds through the Technology Resource Center (TRC) and the Countrywide Agri and Rural Economic and Development Foundation, Inc. (CARED) and the Philippine Social Development Foundation, Inc. (PSDFI).

However, it was found that the livelihood projects and technical assistance were all ghost projects as no actual deliveries to the beneficiaries were made.

FEATURED STORIES

“Cagas directly chose CARED and PSDFI, which were headed or controlled by Napoles and her cohorts, to implement his projects without the benefit of public bidding, and without being authorized by an appropriation law or ordinance,” Morales said.

The Ombudsman also found anomalies in the selection of PSDFI and CARED as they were not qualified as beneficiaries due to lack of accreditation, track record and experience. TRC officials failed to conduct a due diligence audit on the NGOs and suppliers to provide for the livelihood kits.

Morales also said that there was “unusual” accommodation, examination, processing and approval of the disbursement vouchers representing the payment and release of funds “as they were all approved in one day.”

Whistleblowers said that Cagas received his kickbacks through Zenaida Ducut.

Cagas stands accused with two counts of violation of Section 3(e) of the Anti-Graft and Corrupt Practices Act (Republic Act No. 3019), two counts of Malversation and one count of Direct Bribery.

The Davao del Sur governor is currently detained in connection with the 2010 murder of journalist Nestor Bedolido.

READ: Ex-governor Cagas linked to newsman’s killing jailed

ADVERTISEMENT

Despite being in jail, he won the gubernatorial race against rival Arsenio Latasa during the May 9 elections.

The Ombudsman has ordered the filing of charges against Cagas’ son, Marc Douglas, for graft and malversation earlier this year for the anomalous utilization of his P7.5 million PDAF. CDG

RELATED STORIES
Jailed ex-governor on track to regaining Davao del Sur post

Cagas says he’s been framed for journalist slay, blames poll rivals

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: bribery, Conchita Carpio-Morales, Davao del Sur, Douglas Cagas, Graft, malversation, Ombudsman, Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF)
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2018 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.