‘Duterte effect’ nets 200 ‘shabu users, peddlers’ in Agusan Sur
ROSARIO, Agusan del Sur – President-elect Rodrigo Duterte’s promise to rid the country of drug abuse has sent a chilling effect to more than 200 shabu drug dependents and suspected peddlers in this gold-rich town.
Users of shabu (methamphetamine hydrochloride) from the neighboring mining villages of Bayugan 3 and Sta. Cruz here on Tuesday voluntarily surfaced and turned themselves in before Mayor Jose Cuyos and police authorities.
Police claimed that the surrender of residents who admitted they have been addicted to shabu (methamphetamine hydrochloride) or have been engaged in selling, was considered the biggest mass surrender in the country.
The residents went to the Bayugan 3 Barangay Hall to confirm their involvement in drugs and vowed before Cuyos that they would reform.
“President-elect Rodrigo Duterte has not yet assumed office but you already came ahead to change your ways,” Cuyos said, urging them not to backslide into their old habits.
He also warned shabu pushers against continuing with their illicit trade.
Senior Insp. Christopher John Viajar, local police chief, believed more users and pushers would surrender in the next few weeks.
The mass surrender was triggered by the killing of two suspected drug pushers and the wounding of two others in Bayugan 3 last week.
Sangguniang Panlalawigan member Gilbert Elorde, relaying a message from Gov. Adolph Edward Plaza, told the drug dependents and pushers in the gathering to make good of their commitment.
“Don’t fear for your lives, rather, pity yourselves and change for the better,” Elorde said.
Cuyos said he would shoulder the costs of rehabilitating the drug dependents at rehabilitation centers in Davao City and other urban areas. SFM
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.