Boy’s penis injured in supermarket escalator accident
IPOH, Malaysia — What was supposed to be a happy outing for Mohd Rohizan Mohd Radzi and his three-year-old son to buy toys at a mall took a bizarre turn when the little boy’s pants got stuck in the escalator.
The 22-year-old fisherman’s son landed in the hospital after his penis was stuck in the escalator at the supermarket in Bagan Serai where they live, some 92km from here.
“We had just arrived at the mall and my son was impatient. He let go of my hand and ran towards the escalator on his own.
“I couldn’t stop him in time, but he has always been like this when he is excited about something. He can’t wait for me to walk with him,” he related of the incident that occurred around 8:15 p.m. on Monday.
Speaking to The Star yesterday, Mohd Rohizan said as he was about to take the escalator to get to the third floor of the mall where the toys department was located, he heard his son’s screams.
“I was so shocked. I didn’t expect anything like this to happen.
“Luckily, a man who was beside my son when his pants got trapped in the escalator pressed the stop button,” he said.
After being rescued by the Fire and Rescue Department at 8.50pm, the injured boy was rushed to the Taiping Hospital for treatment.
Mohd Rohizan said according to the specialist treating his son, his outer foreskin was torn.
“They told me the injury was quite serious although only the top and the bottom side of the penis was scraped.
“They still can’t tell me if they could sew back the torn part of his penis,” he said.
Mohd Rohizan also said his son could still pass urine as normal, but it stung during baths.
Mohd Rohizan said his son has to undergo a more thorough checkup by the specialist to ensure there were no other injuries.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.