Only 1 senatorial bet has filed expenses report—so far
Only one senatorial candidate has submitted his statement of contributions and expenses (SOCE) to the Commission on Elections (Comelec) two days before its deadline.
Comelec spokesperson James Jimenez said that as of 3 p.m. on Monday, the unnamed losing senatorial candidate submitted his SOCE.
For the May 9 national elections, 50 candidates ran for senator.
According to a Radyo Inquirer report, Atty. Mazna Luchavez-Vergara of the Comelec campaign finance office said that eight party-list groups have also submitted their SOCE.
Vergara said that all losing and winning candidates should file their SOCE. She also emphasized that both soft and hard copies of the SOCE should be submitted.
Those who will fail to submit their SOCE for the first time will be fined but on the second offense, they might be perpetually barred from holding public office.
The Comelec has been firm in earlier pronouncements that it will not extend the deadline of the filing of SOCE. AJH with reports from Erwin Aguilon, Radyo Inquirer/RAM/rga
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.