outbrain
Close  

Ex ‘drug-buster’ Marcelino walks free after 4 months in jail

By: - Reporter / @jgamilINQ
/ 06:51 AM June 04, 2016

After spending more than four months in jail, detained ex-“drugs buster” Marine Lt. Col. Ferdinand Marcelino walks free again, with an exposé to tell, and a new crusade.

Wearing his Navy uniform and glasses, Marcelino walked out of the PNP Custodial Center in Camp Crame, Quezon City, at 7:25 p.m. on Friday, hours after his bail was posted at the Quezon City Hall of Justice.

ADVERTISEMENT

He was fetched by his siblings, lawyer Cornelio Samaniego, and his “mistah” from the Philippine Military Academy Vonne Villanueva, who had been acting as his spokesperson throughout his incarceration.

After thanking his supporters, Marcelino told members of the media: “I am happy some of the truth has come out. You can see in the court resolution what has been proven…I am hoping and praying that would also come out in the DOJ and that it will dismiss my case.”

FEATURED STORIES

“They really have no strong case against me. And I am really innocent,” Marcelino said in Filipino.

Marcelino, the former celebrated head of the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) Special Enforcement Service Unit, along with Chinese national Yan Yi Shou aka Randy, a former PDEA translator, are facing narcotics complaints, including manufacturing and possession of illegal drugs, at the Department of Justice (DOJ).

Marcelino and Shou were arrested last Jan. 21 after they were caught in a “shabu” (methamphethamine hydrochloride) lab raided by the PDEA and the Philippine National Police Anti-Illegal Drugs Group (PNP-AIDG) in Sta. Cruz, Manila.

Both men had claimed they were in the area for a legitimate anti-illegal drugs operation.

“I was only there [in Sta. Cruz] to validate information. Only to find out, in the course of the investigation, that those who arrested us were the same ones bringing in and out drugs there. And we have proof,” Marcelino said.

On Wednesday, Quezon City Regional Trial Court Branch 82 judge Lyn Ebora-Cacha, who had been hearing Marcelino and Shou’s bail petition, allowed Marcelino to post P1-million bail, but denied Shou’s plea.

The judge’s release order for Marcelino on Friday showed the bail was posted through the Commonwealth Insurance Company. Villanueva said Marcelino’s family and the PMA Class of ’94 had raised around P93,000, enough to pay the surety bond.

ADVERTISEMENT

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Camp Crame, Commonwealth Insurance Company, Marine Lt. Col. Ferdinand Marcelino, Philippine Navy, PNP Custodial Center
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.