Close  

Cops still up for peace with Reds, despite police station attack, abduction

But PNP strongly demands release of Davao Oriental town police chief, vows to pursue raps
By: - Reporter / @jgamilINQ
/ 12:39 PM June 01, 2016
wilben-mayor

Superintendent Wilben Mayor. Photo from www.valenzuela.gov.ph

MANILA — The Philippine National Police (PNP) continues to support the incoming administration’s plans for peace talks with communist rebels, despite a recent attack on a municipal police station in Davao Oriental believed perpetrated by the New People’s Army.

In a press briefing on Tuesday at the PNP headquarters in Camp Crame, Quezon City, the PNP spokesperson, Chief Supt. Wilben Mayor, condemned the gun attack Sunday night on the Governor Generoso police station, during which the town police chief, Chief Insp. Arnold Ongachen, was abducted, and at least left one policeman was wounded.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We condemn the attack on our station. It’s a government institution that provides security and safety to our communities, and yet they could do that,” Mayor lamented. “We demand the release of the chief of police who was abducted,” he added.

The police has not officially confirmed it was the NPA behind the attack, only referring to the perpetrators as “lawless armed groups” while pursuit operations with the armed forces have been ongoing.

FEATURED STORIES

But assuming the attack was indeed perpetrated by the NPA, Mayor expressed beliefs the incident “will not be an obstacle” to the “policy direction of the President-elect with regard to the peace process.”

“As responders risking our lives on the front lines, we want peace the most,” the spokesperson said. “This kind of situation will not be an obstacle; instead, the more we will pursue the peace process,” Mayor said.

“The President-elect is initiating a peace process, and that’s the priority,” Mayor said.

Mayor clarified, however, that the attack in Davao Oriental was a “violation of the law,” and that, as yet, cases against the perpetrators would have to be filed as the insurgents committed several criminal violations—physical injury, destruction of government property, and serious illegal detention, among others.

Meanwhile, amid reports the police had run out of ammunition and had been outgunned and outnumbered in the hours-long gun battle, Mayor said an investigation into operational lapses would be conducted after pursuit and rescue operations.

“We will have an investigation to look into any flaws to correct them, or to punish those who need to be punished,” he said. “In the first place, that shouldn’t have happened,” Mayor said.  SFM

ADVERTISEMENT
Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Abduction, Armed conflict, Arnold Ongachen, attack, Chief Inspector Arnold Ongachen, Chief Superintendent Wilben Mayor, clash, Communist Guerillas, Communist Party of the Philippines, communist rebellion, communist rebels, CPP, Davao Oriental, Encounter, Governor Generoso municipality, gun battle, Insurgency, Nation, National Democratic Front of the Philippines, NDFP, New People's Army, news, NPA, peace, peace negotiation, peace process, Peace Talks, Philippine Government, Philippine National Police, PNP, policemen held captive by rebels, policemen wounded in combat, policemen wounded on duty, rebellion, Regions, Shooting, Wilben Mayor
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.