SC asked to reconsider ruling on Napoles bid to stop plunder trial
Pork barrel scam principal accused Janet Lim-Napoles on Wednesday asked the Supreme Court to reconsider its decision that dismisses her bid to stop her plunder trial before the Sandigabayan Third Division.
In her 15-page motion for reconsideration, Napoles reiterated that the Office of the Ombudsman and the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) failed to provide evidence that she and her co-accused Senator Juan Ponce Enrile and Atty. Jessica Lucila “Gigi” Reyes amassed at least P172, 834,500.00.
“As stated previously, the basis of the P172,834,500 is the summary of rebates. But this summary of rebates failed to mention the SAROs (special allotment release order) in a particular entry, thus, it violates petitioner’s constitutionally enshrined right to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation against her,” read the appeal filed earlier this week.
Napoles said she was only dragged into the controversy because of the allegations that she owned and controlled the non-government organizations (NGOs) used in Enrile’s Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF).
“But with the absence of the particularity of SAROS as appearing on the summary of rebates then petitioner would not know if indeed the said transactions involved an NGO,” Napoles’ motion stated.
The high court last March dismissed Napoles’ petition for lack of merit.
“Accordingly, the assailed Resolutions and orders of the Office of the Ombudsman and the Sandiganbayan are hereby affirmed,” the high court said. RAM
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.