3 killed, 42 arrested in Zamboanga City drug raids
ZAMBOANGA CITY – At least three persons were killed while 42 people, including a village official, were arrested here during Wednesday’s start of a massive anti-drug and anti-illegal firearms operation.
Police authorities were tight-lipped on the identities and details of the arrests, including that of the village official, adding that the operation was ongoing.
Chief Insp. Helen Galvez, spokesperson of the Zamboanga City Police Office, said the city-wide implementation of Oplan Lambat Sibat involved over 1,000 policemen, anti-drug agents and soldiers.
She said the operation was backed by 73 search warrants.
Galvez said during the initial operation on Wednesday, a firefight erupted between some suspects in Barangay Baliwasan Gusu, which resulted in the deaths of three people, including a woman.
Galvez did not release the identities of those slain but added that in all, 42 suspects had been arrested, and 20 firearms, ammunition and explosives, and at least 27 sachets of suspected shabu (methamphetamine hydrochloride), had been seized on Wednesday.
All 42 suspects are currently detained in various police stations here and are being investigated prior to the filing of charges against them, according to Galvez.
“This is a continuing operation,” Galvez said. SFM
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.