149 pols get police security detail
MORE than a hundred people have so far been exempted from the Commission on Elections resolution prohibiting the employment of bodyguards during the election period.
Supt. Rogelio Simon, spokesperson for the Philippine National Police-Police Security and Protection Group (PNP-PSPG), said 149 individuals have been allowed to retain a security detail during the election period, including 73 private individuals, 52 government officials and 24 candidates.
Only two presidential candidates did not apply for police security for the election period: Rodrigo Duterte and Miriam Defensor-Santiago.
The PNP-PSPG will deploy 278 of its personnel to protect the approved applicants, Simon said.
Simon said 183 applications from 212 private individuals, 77 government officials, and 43 candidates are still pending with the Comelec.
If approved, 527 more PSPG personnel would need to be deployed for their protection.
Comelec Resolution No. 10015 prohibits the carrying of firearms and the engagement of bodyguards for the election period spanning Jan. 10 to June 8, unless authorized by the Comelec. In accordance with the resolution, last January, the PSPG recalled around 700 of its personnel who had been detailed to both public officials and private individuals.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.