Close  

2nd debate format a test for candidates, says Comelec

/ 02:04 PM March 20, 2016

Candidates will be battling each other not only for the best answers but also for good questions to ask during the second round of the presidential debates, the Commission on Elections (Comelec) said on Sunday morning.

ADVERTISEMENT

Comelec chair Andres Bautista, during a press conference at the University of the Philippines (UP) Cebu, said the three-hour program of the second debate will allow the candidates to “expound on the topic(s).”

The second debate, organized by TV5 and Philippine Star, will run from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Sunday at the UP Cebu’s Performing Arts Hall, which can seat 500 people. It will have two formats, the first half will involve a panel while the second half will allow candidates to ask each other questions.

Bautista said the audience would want to “compare and contrast” each of the candidates.

“I think that a person is also being assessed not only by the answers that they give but by the questions that they ask,” he added.

Four candidates are expected to participate in the said debate: Vice President Jejomar Binay, Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte, Senator Grace Poe and former secretary Manuel “Mar” Roxas II. Senator Miriam Defensor-Santiago will skip the debate to undergo a clinical trial for a new anti-cancer pill. Despite being diagnosed with lung cancer, the senator decided to run for president in the upcoming May elections.

READ: Santiago to skip Comelec debate to try new anticancer pill

Patrick Paez, head of TV5 news production, said they held two meetings with the candidates before the camps agreed to the format.

“We can’t say it was easy negotiating with 5 different camps. But happily we were able to agree on a format,” he explained. “All I can say is that all the concerns raised in the past were answered and addressed.”

READ: Comelec, media partners all set for 2nd presidential debate

ADVERTISEMENT

Bautista said the candidates will also have more time to talk about issues because there would be fewer commercials and longer running time.

“Also because hindi makakarating si Senator Santiago, mas maraming panahon ang mabibigay sa ibang kandidato na dadalo sa second round,” he said.

(Also because Senator Santiago won’t be attending, more time would be given to the candidates participating in the second round.)

The first round of the debates, organized by the Inquirer group and GMA Network, was held last month at Capitol University in Cagayan de Oro City. It was in dual moderator format and tackled the candidates’ track record, peace and order, poverty and agriculture. The second round will include discussions on climate change and disaster risk reduction, education, healthcare and corruption. RAM

READ: Presidential debates kick off

RELATED VIDEOS

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: 2nd debate format, Cebu debate, Comelec, Commission on Elections, Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte, Elections 2016, former secretary Manuel “Mar” Roxas II, presidential debates, Senator Grace Poe, Vice President Jejomar Binay
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.