Colmenares to push for SSS pension hike when Congress resumes
Bayan Muna Rep. Neri Colmenares vowed to push for the hike of the Social Security System (SSS) pension even after the House of Representatives killed his resolution seeking to override the veto.
In a statement on Thursday, Colmenares said he will again file the resolution to the floor seeking for two-thirds or 191 of the members to override President Aquino’s veto on his bill seeking a P2,000 across-the-board SSS pension increase.
The proposed law vetoed by the president would have increased the monthly pension by P2,000 across-the-board–to P3,200 from P1,200 for those with 10 credited years of service, and to P4,000 from P2,400 for those with 20 years.
Aquino vetoed the bill for fears it would bankrupt the state pension fund agency. He said the P2,000 pension hike for all 2.1 million pensioners would cost the SSS some P56 billion even though it only earns an annual investment income of P30 billion.
Colmenares blamed the House leadership for killing the bill in the plenary despite having achieved a quorum on Wednesday night. He said at least 213 representatives responded to the quorum call.
Colmenares seemed to be moving against the odds. When Congress resumes from its campaign period break on May 23, it would be focused on canvassing the election results for president and vice president.
“Congress will reconvene on May 23 to June 10, 2016, and I will again move for the override of the veto. Copies of the resolution supporting the override were sent to all the members of Congress but we were not able to finish gathering their signatures. We will keep on gathering signatures in preparation for the May 23 motion,” Colmenares said.
On Wednesday night, scores of senior citizens who attended the plenary session were outraged when the House adjourned without even tackling Colmenares’ resolution, virtually shutting down the proposal to override Aquino’s veto.
Colmenares, a senatorial candidate this year, teared up after his resolution was killed by the plenary.
“While the senior citizens are dismayed and angry for the refusal of Congress to give them a chance to override the veto, they were heartened by the fact that they were strong enough to push the Majority to retreat from the battle for override,” Colmenares said.
Colmenares said so far only 57 representatives have signed the resolution as of Feb. 3, 7:45 p.m. These are:
- Rep. Ronaldo B. Zamora (San Juan, Lone District)
- Rep. Thelma Z. Almario (Davao Oriental, 2ndDistrict)
- Rep. Roman T. Romulo (Pasig, Lone District)
- Rep. Silvestre H. Bello III (1BAP)
- Rep. Jose L. Atienza Jr. (Buhay)
- Rep. Ana Cristina Siquian Go (Isabela, 2ndDistrict)
- Rep. Samuel D. Pagdilao (ACT-CIS)
- Rep. Martin Romualdez (Leyte,1stDistrict)
- Rep. Evelina G. Escudero (Sorsogon, 1stDistrict)
- Rep. Juan Johnny R. Revilla (OFW)
- Rep. Irwin C. Tieng (Buhay)
- Rep. Nicanor M. Briones (Agap)
- Rep. Luzviminda C. Ilagan (Gabriela)
- Rep. Carlos Isagani T. Zarate (Bayan Muna)
- Rep. Antonio L. Tinio (ACT Teachers)
- Rep. Terry L. Ridon (Kabataan)
- Rep. Fernando L. Hicap (Anakpawis)
- Rep. Emmi de Jesus (Gabriela)
- Rep. Neri Colmenares (Bayan Muna)
- Rep. Jonathan dela Cruz (ABAKADA)
- Rep. Enrique T. Garcia Jr. (Bataan, 2ndDistrict)
- Rep. Sherwin Gatchalian (Valenzuela City, 1stDistrict)
- Rep. Angelina L. Tan (Quezon, 4thDistrict)
- Rep. Napoleon S. Dy (Isabela, 3rdDistrict)
- Rep. Mark M. Enverga (Quezon, 1stDistrict)
- Rep. Florencio T. Flores Jr. (Bukidnon, 2ndDistrict)
- Rep. Isidro S. Rodriguez (Rizal, 2ndDistrict)
- Rep. Rose Marie J. Arenas (Pangasinan, 3rdDistrict)
- Rep. Mercedes C. Cagas (Davao del Sur, 1stDistrict)
- Rep. Aleta C. Suarez (Quezon, 3rdDistrict)
- Rep. Leah S. Paquiz (ANG NARS)
- Rep. Bellaflor J. Angara-Castillo (Aurora, Lone District)
- Rep. Victor J. Yu (Zamboanga Del Sur, 1stDistrict)
- Rep. Lilia Macrohon-Nuno (Zamboanga City, 2ndDistrict)
- Rep. Mar-Len Abigail S. Binay (Makati City, 2ndDistrict)
- Rep. Susan A. Yap (Tarlac, 2ndDistrict)
- Rep. Gus S. Tambunting (Paranaque City, 2ndDistrict)
- Rep. Giorgidi B. Aggabao (Isabela, 4thDistrict)
- Rep. Pryde Henry A. Teves (Negros Oriental 3rdDistrict)
- Rep. Harlin C. Abayon (Northern Samar, 1stDistrict)
- Rep. Jeffrey D. Khonghun (Zambales, 1stDistrict)
- Rep. Joseph Stephen S. Paduano (ABANG LINGKOD)
- Rep. Amado S. Bagatsing (Manila, 5thDistrict)
- Rep. Diosdado Macapagal Arroyo (Camarines Sur, 2ndDistrict)
- Rep. Rodolfo G. Biazon (Muntinlupa, Lone District)
- Rep. Arnel U. Ty (LPGMA)
- Rep. Agapito H. Guanlao (Butil)
- Rep. Edgardo R. Masongsong (1-CARE)
- Rep.Rogelio Neil Pepito Roque (Bukidnon, 4th District)
- Rep. Celso L. Lobregat (Zamboanga City, 1stDistrict)
- Rep. Noel L. Villanueva (Tarlac, 3rdDistrict)
- Rep. Aurora E. Cerilles (Zamboanga Del Sur, 2ndDistrict)
- Rep. Jose T. Panganiban Jr. (ANAC-IP)
- Rep. Pedro B. Acharon Jr. (South Cotabato, 1stDistrict)
- Rep. Ferdinand L. Hernandez (South Cotabato, 2ndDistrict)
- Rep. Manuel M. Iway (Negros Oriental, 1stDistrict)
- Rep. George P. Arnaiz (Negros Oriental, 2ndDistrict)
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.