Firecracker and gun-related incidents rise ahead of New Year
Firecracker and gun-related incidents continue to rise ahead of the New Year revelry, the Philippine National Police (PNP) said Friday.
The PNP said 23 incidents have been recorded as of December 25, Christmas Day.
Data showed that of the 23, 15 were due to illegal possession or use of banned firecrackers, three due to illegal discharge of firearms, three were victims of stray bullet and two was injured due to firecrackers.
The PNP said two civilians were arrested due to illegal discharge of firearms, while one remained at large. The two arrested civilians were identified as Willy Talinting, 47 and Felix Cuenca, 27. Suspect Marianito Alob remained at large.
The victims of stray bullets were identified as Calsum Henio, three years old, who was hit at her right upper abdomen, and 50-year-old Hawaki Asakil Hanapi who sustained a leg injury.
The PNP said no fatality from firecrackers and stray bullets were recorded so far.
The agency earlier said that 200 personnel from the PNP headquarters and 26 members of the Special Action Force have been deployed for Christmas patrol in the Metro Manila including lifestyle centers, churches, and transport terminals since December 16.
The PNP added that there would be no holiday break for the police, citing all leaves had been cancelled until January 6 to ensure that all hands are on deck. CDG
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.