Palace hits NPA for allegedly attacking relief convoy
Malacañang on Wednesday accused the New People’s Army (NPA) of “disregard[ing] the people’s welfare” after the group reportedly attacked relief convoys in Samar.
“Government is fully determined to carry out and complete needed relief and rehabilitation work in calamity-affected areas despite recent attacks in Samar that momentarily disrupted our main efforts in rendering humanitarian assistance and disaster relief, as we increased the deployment of personnel assigned to force protection and road security,” Communications Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. said in a statement.
“The dastardly act on the part of the local NPAs clearly indicates their disregard for the people’s welfare,” he added.
Last week, Inquirer reported that two soldiers were wounded after delivering relief goods to Northern Samar, one of the provinces devastated by Typhoon “Nona.”
The soldiers were part of the group that accompanied two personnel from the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD).
Capt. Isagani Viernes, information officer of the 8th Infantry Division based in Catbalogan City, said the group was attacked by the NPA, the armed wing of the Communist Party of the Philippines.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.