Palace holds out hope for Bangsamoro law
MALACAÑANG on Sunday insisted there was still time for Congress to pass the proposed Basic Law on the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region (BLBAR) during its short session next month.
Communications Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. brushed aside House Minority Leader Ronaldo Zamora’s statement that the Palace was to blame for the nonpassage of the measure that would hopefully bring peace to Mindanao because the administration did not heed appeals to revise its contentious proposals contained in the proposed Bangsamoro Basic Law.
Coloma said the Palace continued to coordinate with leaders of Congress, including Speaker Feliciano Belmonte, who was consulting with Zamora.
“It is our view that members of Congress, including critics of the measure, had enough time to relay their positions in the just-concluded plenary debates for the BLBAR,” he said over state-run radio.
Coloma said there was still time for Congress to improve the measure.
“And that is why the participation of all members of Congress would be important when the session resumes in January,” he said.
Congress adjourned last week, the last time this year, without completing the period of interpellation on the BLBAR.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.