Air Force sergeant slain in NPA attack
LUCENA CITY—A Philippine Air Force (PAF) sergeant was killed when suspected New People’s Army (NPA) rebels attacked a PAF detachment in Nasugbu, Batangas province, on Saturday afternoon, police said on Sunday.
An undetermined number of NPA rebels swooped down on the detachment of the 730th Combat Group of the PAF 710th Special Operations Wing in Barangay Calayo around 3:30 p.m., said Supt. Chitadel Gaoiran, information officer of the Philippine National Police in Calabarzon.
Soldiers manning the detachment fired back but in the exchange of gunfire, the NPA rebels hit Staff Sgt. Armando Silvestre, 47. He suffered two bullet wounds that killed him on the spot, the report said.
The rebels fled after the short firefight.
The victim’s remains now lie at the Saint Peter Funeral Homes in Nasugbu.
The Armed Forces Southern Luzon Command (Solcom) strongly condemned the attack.
Major Angelo Guzman, Solcom spokesperson, said all soldiers in Batangas were on standby for deployment to assist victims of Typhoon “Nona.”
“The attack also puts into question their (rebel’s) sincerity in unilateral ceasefire which they declared,” he said in a statement.
Guzman said police and Army soldiers had been deployed to track down the rebels.
The attack happened three days before the start of the
12-day unilateral ceasefire declared by the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP).
On Dec. 14, the CPP ordered the NPA, its military wing, to cease from carrying out offensive operations against government troops from Dec. 23 to Jan. 3, 2016.
On Friday, the government reciprocated the peace gesture and also declared its own 12-day unilateral ceasefire, covering the same period, in observance of the Yuletide season.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.