Sunday, November 18, 2018
Close  
  • share this

DOH urges ban on ‘piccolo’ firecracker

By: - Reporter / @mj_uyINQ
/ 01:56 AM December 08, 2015

THE DEPARTMENT of Health (DOH) on Monday urged the police and local government units to strictly enforce the law against the sale of the “piccolo” during the holidays to significantly bring down the number of firecracker-related injuries.

Health Secretary Janette Garin led the kick-off of the DOH’s annual “Iwas Paputok” campaign in collaboration with the Department of the Interior and Local Government, Department of Trade and Industry, Department of Education, Philippine National Police, Bureau of Fire Protection and Bureau of Customs.

ADVERTISEMENT

For this year’s campaign, Garin said local chief executives should be extra vigilant against the piccolo, which has been the top cause of firecracker-related injuries.

“If we take away the piccolo [from the market], the decrease in the number of firecracker-related injuries will be significant,” Garin told reporters in a press conference Monday.

FEATURED STORIES

Last year, the DOH recorded a total of 860 injuries nationwide, of which 32 percent were caused by the piccolo, a small and cheap but powerful firecracker.

The piccolo is one of the illegal firecrackers banned by the government but which is still being sold in the market, targeting mostly children because of its attractive packaging.

Lt. Angelito Cruz, assistant chief of the environmental protection unit of the Bureau of Customs, said this type of firecracker was being smuggled into the country from China and repacked in the Philippines.

“Our anti-illegal importation campaign continues but these guys, sadly, are smarter than law enforcement. They can find ways to smuggle [contraband],” Cruz told reporters on the sidelines of the launch of the campaign.

The EcoWaste Coalition, a partner of the DOH in its anti-firecracker campaign, urged the government to completely ban the use of firecrackers by minors nationwide.

“As all firecrackers are dangerous for kids to handle, we find it very logical and necessary for the national authorities to impose a strong measure that will prohibit all minors from buying, receiving and using all forms of firecrackers,” said EcoWaste Coalition coordinator Aileen Lucero. With a report from Dona Z. Pazzibugan

ADVERTISEMENT
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Firecracker ban, Nation, news, Piccolo
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2018 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.