Pemberton case: Verdict on Dec. 1
OLONGAPO CITY—The verdict on whether detained United States Marine Lance Cpl. Joseph Scott Pemberton murdered transgender Jeffrey “Jennifer” Laude would be given on Dec. 1, instead of Nov. 24 as earlier scheduled.
Deputy City Prosecutor Misael Ladaga on Thursday said Pemberton’s lawyers filed a motion in court requesting for the postponement of the promulgation on Nov. 24, prompting Judge Roline Ginez-Jabalde of Regional Trial Court Branch 74 here to reset it a week later.
“The resetting [of the promulgation] was at the instance of the defense. Allegedly the three counsels of Pemberton are not available on Nov. 24, so it is now Dec. 1,” said lawyer Virgie Suarez, private counsel of the Laude family.
Lawyer Rowena Garcia-Flores, lead counsel of Pemberton, confirmed that the defense asked for the postponement. “I’m in Italy now. Atty. (Filemon Ray) Javier is also out of town,” Flores said in a text message sent to the Inquirer on Friday.
Suarez said she received the court order on Tuesday through e-mail.
“I don’t want to think negatively about the postponement and would like to accept as gospel truth the reason that not one of them (Pemberton’s lawyers) was available to assist Pemberton,” Suarez said.
“However, considering that this case is so important, historical and highly political, it is inconceivable that they can’t prioritize it or find time for it, especially so that they are very much well-paid,” she said.
Pemberton was charged with murder on Dec. 15 last year after government prosecutors, headed by City Prosecutor Emily Fe de los Santos, found probable cause to pursue the criminal complaint filed by the Laude family. Allan Macatuno, Inquirer Central Luzon
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.