Roxas Boulevard shut down due to Paris attacks – Manila official
MANILA, Philippines — The decision to also ban pedestrians aside from motorists from Roxas Boulevard starting Monday (Nov. 16) until Friday (Nov. 20) for the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) meet was a result of the Paris attacks that claimed more than 100 lives last week.
Johnny Yu, chief of Manila’s anti-disaster unit, said the joint task force overseeing the security preparations for the leaders summit made the recommendations on Sunday.
“Twenty-one world leaders are arriving in the country. We have to protect them. It would be a national embarrassment if something bad happens to them,” he said.
Eight lanes of the major thoroughfare, from Kalaw to P. Ocampo, were heavily guarded. Yu said pedestrians could only pass through the service roads.
To further beef up security measures in the metro, members of Philippine National Police special action force joined local policemen in manning “critical checkpoints.”
Yu said it was the “first time” that the city government closed the bay area to pedestrians for a special occasion. The no-walk zone on Manila Bay’s boardwalk was usually implemented only during calamities.
Even joggers have been banned from the area while only accredited APEC personnel in charge of security and with proper identification cards are allowed there for the duration of the international meet.
Roxas Boulevard in Manila is home to key establishments and facilities. The US Embassy is located in the area as well as a number of hotels where some Apec delegates will be staying. SFM
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.