Close  

Over 700K children affected by ‘Lando,’ says aid group

/ 08:45 PM October 23, 2015
FROLICKING IN THE FLOODS  Kids will be kids, no matter the dangers posed by muddy floodwaters brought about by Tropical Storm “Lando” along Maharlika Highway in Cabanatuan City. Nueva Ecija towns and cities were among the worst-hit by rising floodwaters that poured down from surrounding mountains in the wake of the typhoon. GRIG C. MONTEGRANDE

FROLICKING IN THE FLOODS. Kids will be kids, no matter the dangers posed by muddy floodwaters brought about by Tropical Storm “Lando” along Maharlika Highway in Cabanatuan City. Nueva Ecija towns and cities were among the worst-hit by rising floodwaters that poured down from surrounding mountains in the wake of the typhoon. GRIG C. MONTEGRANDE

More than 700,000 children have been affected by Tropical Storm “Lando” (international name: Koppu) which pummeled Central Luzon and heavily damaged the region’s agriculture and infrastructure, according to a youth aid group.

Save the Children Director Ned Olney said the typhoon’s impact should not be underestimated amid the rising number of casualties, which was set at 46 deaths and 82 injured by the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC).

ADVERTISEMENT

“We are extremely concerned with children and families who have lost everything and without a roof over their heads … Let us not minimize the impact this storm has on people’s livelihoods,” Olney said in a statement.

READ: Lando death toll rises to 46; damage amounts to P9.4 billion | Save the Children launches emergency response in Lando-affected areas

FEATURED STORIES

Save the Children noted that education of children had been disrupted by the recent disaster as classes in many towns and cities were still suspended.

“Teams on the ground have seen nearly 100 percent damage to homes, schools and health centers in some of the worst-hit areas. Access to roads is still difficult due to flooding and debris. Save the Children will continue our response and reach out to families who need our help the most,” Olney added.

Save the Children has launched emergency response in Lando-hit areas, particularly in Aurora and Nueva Ecija, by distributing relief kits to thousands of families displaced by massive flooding.

The group said its operations, which would run from three to six months and target about 8,000 households, would prioritize distribution of relief supplies, education, healthcare, and child protection.

NDRRMC said Lando, which weakened into a low pressure area on Wednesday afternoon, was the strongest typhoon to hit the country so far this year in terms of both casualties and damage. Yuji Vincent Gonzales/RC

RELATED STORIES

‘Lando’ the most destructive this year

ADVERTISEMENT

Benguet police chief sacked over ‘Lando’ casualties

Australia vows P33-M aid for ‘Lando’ victims

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Save the Children, typhoon lando
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.