Duterte to welcome Marcos’ campaign visits in Davao City but won’t ally with him
DAVAO CITY, Philippines – Mayor Rodrigo Duterte said he indeed promised to support Senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. who on Monday announced his intention to run for vice president.
But Duterte said that promise was limited to “entertaining” the 58-year old senator during his campaign sorties in this city.
“I will entertain him when he campaigns in the city,” Duterte told the Inquirer Tuesday night.
“He was gracious enough to promise me his support should I decide to run for Vice President. I, too, will support Mayor Duterte if and when he runs for President,” Marcos said in his statement Monday.
Duterte has repeatedly said he would not run for president in next year’s elections.
Last week, Marcos met with Duterte for two hours.
Also last week, Senator Alan Peter Cayetano announced his intention to run for vice president. He made his announcement in a hotel here in Davao City. He, his sister, Sen. Pia Cayetano, and wife Taguig Mayor Lani Cayetano, later met with Duterte.
In an apparent move to convince Duterte to run for president and to choose him as his vice presidential candidate, Cayetano said he made his announcement here because he was espousing the distribution of government’s power from Manila to the provinces.
Duterte has been advocating for the shift of form of government to Federalism.
Both Cayetano and Marcos belong to the Nacionalista Party.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.