10 workers freed by Abu Sayyaf, says PNP
ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines – The 10 construction workers abducted by the Abu Sayyaf in Basilan had been set free, the police said Tuesday.
A separate report from the military said the abducted construction workers were rescued.
Supt. Oscar Nantes, the Basilan police director, said Nasser Jallaha, Merhussin Ubbay, Mustapha Gapul, Abukaisir Nasilin, Jaya Abdulla, Johann Sarao, Nadzhar Gabon, Alsibar Jauhar, Margani Alpha and Munib Sadidul, were released by their captors in Barangay Pamatsaken in Sumisip town around 6:58 p.m. Monday.
The 10 men work for Mace, a company implementing various projects in Sumisip.
The men were passing by Barangay Binembengan when stopped by Abu Sayyaf bandits under Juhaibel Alamsirul around 8:45 a.m. Monday.
The bandit burned the water truck they were in, Nantes said.
Col. Rolando Bautista, commander of the Joint Task Group Basilan, said the 10 workers were later rescued by elements of the Marine Battalion Landing Team 11 and the Army’s 64th Infantry Battalion.
He said soldiers launched an operation as soon as report of the abduction reached the military.
Bautista said after six hours of continuous pursuit operation and pressure, Alamsirul’s group was forced to release the victims.
“The ASG bandits led by sub-leader Juhaibel Alamsirul were pressured and force to leave the kidnap victims to avoid being trapped by the pursuing troops,” Bautista said.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.