Update: 19 reported dead as ‘Ineng’ exits PH
NINETEEN people were reported dead from the onslaught of typhoon “Ineng” as it exited the country on Monday.
The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council said four of the new deaths were from a landslide in Taneg, Mankayan in Benguet where the bodies of four miners were recovered.
The miners were Crispin Ablao, 22; Felimon Adcapan, 23; Jasper Olivarez, 20; and Armando Dayaw. The victims owned shanties which were hit by a landslide in Benguet.
Meanwhile, its regional arm in Central Luzon reported the deaths of two children who drowned as their house was swept away by a flashflood coming from the Manganvaka River.
The children were siblings Regenty and Reanne Quintero, nine months old and two years old respectively. Missing was their sibling, R-Gien, five years old.
In its latest update, the agency said majority of the dead were reported in Mt. Province, Abra, Benguet, La Union and Ilocos Norte.
Seventeen others were reported injured in Mt. Province, Benguet, Ilocos Norte, Ilocos Sur, Batanes and Cagayan, while authorities are still searching for 14 missing.
The NDRRMC said 16,499 families or 72,326 people were evacuated from their homes in the Ilocos, Cagayan, Cordillera, Calabarzon and Mimaropa regions while 1,028 houses were damaged.
The agency has monitored 88 typhoon-related incidents, including 46 instances of flooding and 10 landslides.
Ineng exited the country on Monday morning after battering extreme northern Luzon for several days and is headed towards Japan.
Meanwhile, damage to infrastructure and agriculture rose to a total of P165.6 million after more reports from the regions came in.
So far, damage to infrastructure was at P121,480,000 while damage to agriculture reached P44,200,856 on Monday.
Fifty roads, seven bridges and two spillways in northern, central and southern Luzon remained impassable while 25 previously affected roads have been declared to be passable.
Meanwhile, the barangays of Puro, Pantay-Tamurong and Villamar in Caoayan town, and Oribin, Dammay, Calumbuyan, Casiber, Poro and Rancho in Santa, both in Ilocos Sur, are still isolated.
This was after the Calungbuyan Bailey Bridge collapsed at the height of Ineng. Barangay San Andres in Naujan, Oriental Mindoro, was also isolated due to rising waters in a nearby river.
So far, the government has given P3.18 million worth of relief goods to affected families in the said regions, with the Department of Social Welfare and Development giving P2.8 million in assistance. Julie M. Aurelio, Philippine Daily Inquirer
Click here for more weather related news.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.