Close  

‘MH370 families’ rejects conclusion on plane debris

/ 01:18 PM August 12, 2015
FRANCE-OVERSEAS-REUNION-MALAYSIA-AVIATION-MH370-SEARCH

A French Gendarme (left) inspects debris gathered by members of local ecological associations and volunteers on August 11, 2015 in the eastern part of Sainte-Suzanne, on France’s Reunion Island in the Indian Ocean, during search operations for the missing MH370 flight conducted by French army forces and local associations. AFP

An “MH370 families” organization said Wednesday it would not accept the Malaysian government’s declaration that wreckage found on an island in the Indian Ocean came from the ill-fated flight until more “conclusive” analysis is completed.

Voice 370, an international next-of-kin support group, also reiterated its suspicion over the Malaysian government’s handling of the jet’s disappearance last year, and called for any potential MH370 debris to be analyzed by impartial authorities.

ADVERTISEMENT

Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak said last Thursday that a wing part which washed up on the French island of Reunion had been confirmed by experts in France to be the first physical evidence that the Malaysia Airlines jet had met a disastrous end in the Indian Ocean.

“However, after one week, other experts have not concurred with the Malaysia declaration,” Voice 370 said in a statement.

FEATURED STORIES

“Needless to say, most families have refused to accept the Malaysian verdict, and are awaiting a more definite and conclusive analysis,” it added.

The Boeing 777 vanished on March 8 last year with 239 passengers and crew, triggering one of aviation’s greatest mysteries and history’s biggest search operation, now focused on the southern Indian Ocean.

After the jet’s disappearance, Malaysia’s government and the state flag carrier came under intense fire from next-of-kin who accused both of fumbling their response to the disaster, being slow to release information, and a series of confusing or contradictory statements.

The Voice 370 statement said families “are apprehensive about the handling of the whole incident from day one by the Malaysian authorities.

“This led to families having doubts about their expertise, capabilities and intentions.”

French authorities have not gone as far as Najib in confirming that the wing piece came from the plane, saying only that there was a “very highly probability.”

“We the families of those on board MH370 would like to appeal that all debris be analyzed at a reputable place with the appropriate expertise and equipment” including possibly the French government or authorities from other “advanced nations,” Voice 370 said.

ADVERTISEMENT

RELATED STORY:

MH17 investigators find ‘possible’ Russian missile fragments

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: debris, Indian Ocean, Malaysia, MH370, plane
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
newsinfo

Goat farmer is Palawan mayor

May 20, 2019 05:26 AM

opinion

Plus for the economy

May 20, 2019 05:09 AM




© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.