Binay appointees’ days are numbered
President Aquino has not renewed the one-year term of Vice President Jejomar Binay’s appointees in the state housing corporations.
Caloocan Rep. Edgar Erice said that the appointees of Binay, who managed the agency before his resignation, have been placed on a holdover capacity. Their terms were not renewed last month.
“I was informed that the President will announce his appointments in the coming weeks,” said Erice in a phone interview.
Binay resigned as chair of the Housing and Urban Development Coordinating Council (HUDCC) and as presidential adviser of OFW Concerns on June 22. The Vice President has declared his intention to run for President next year under an opposition party.
A week after Binay resigned, presidential aide Abigail Valte said it was part of “convention” for appointees of a resigned Cabinet official like Binay to tender their courtesy resignations.
Erice was the first to call on Binay appointees to voluntarily resign their posts if they have “any shred of pride” left because their patron has started to openly attack President Aquino.
Among the Binay appointees he cited were Home Guaranty Corp. president Manuel Sanchez, Pag-Ibig Fund President Darlene Marie Berberabe, National Home Mortgage Finance Corp. president Felixberto Bustos Jr., Housing and Land Use Regulatory Board chief executive officer Antonio M. Bernardo and Housing and Urban Development Coordinating Council consultant Chito Borromeo.
Erice said he was sure that Sanchez and the entire HGC board would be replaced.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.