Close  

Binay hits MRT’s current mess and sorry state

/ 05:02 PM August 03, 2015

ADVERTISEMENT

INDANG, Cavite – Vice President Jejomar Binay on Monday blamed the current administration for the present state of the MRT (Metro Railway Transit) in his ”True State of the Nation Address.”

“Sa libo-libong sumasakay sa MRT, araw-araw ay parusa. Noon 2010, 20 tren at 20 bagon ang tumakbo. Pagkatapos ng limang taon, pitong tren at 21 isang bagon na lamang ang natira,” Binay said in his speech at the Cavite State University.

FEATURED STORIES

“Napakahabang pila, sirang escalators at mabahong kubeta, kakaunti at siksikang bagon. Tuwing sasakay ang mga pasahero, ang taimtim nilang dasal: sana huwag magka-aberya, sana makauwi kami nang buhay,” he added.

Binay questioned why there were no trains yet despite the P4.5 billion budget for new trains supposedly released four years ago.

A budget of over P5 billion was also allotted for the overhaul of the MRT last year but it has not started, he added.

“Nakuha pa ng MRT magtaas ng pamasahe (MRT even raised fares),” Binay said.

The Vice President also questioned the MRT’s maintenance provider that had little experience and accused former transport secretary Mar Roxas and current transport chief Joseph Abaya of having a hand in the anomaly.

He hit the non-inclusion of both officials in connection with the irregularities in the MRT.

“Bakit naging palpak ang serbisyo? Ito ay dahil pinalitan
ang maintenance provider. At ang ipinalit sa kumpanyang Sumitomo na bantog sa buong mundo na may malawak na track record, ay ang bagito at walang karanasan na PH trams Company,” Binay said.

ADVERTISEMENT

“At sino ang nasa likod ng PH Trams. Mga kaalyado at kapartido ng dati at kasalukuyang secretary ng DOTC,” he said.

In his State of the Nation Address last July 27, President Benigno Aquino III did not apologize for the sorry state of the MRT and instead blamed the MRT Corp. for their negligence.

He also said that when the government tried to purchase new MRT coaches, but they got a temporary restraining order for the purchase.

The MRT 3 became operational in July 2000 under a 25-year build-lease transfer contract of the DOTC and the Sobrepeña-owned MRTC.

“Lumipas pa ang mahabang panahon bago may inihabla sa korapsyon. Pero ang tanong ng dating MRT general manager, bakit ako lang? Ang tanong din ng taumbayan: Oo nga naman. Bakit siya lang? Palpak na serbisyo na, pinagkakitaan pa,” Binay said.

“Totoo ngang sa daang matuwid, magkapatid ang kapalpakan at pagnanakaw ng kapartido at kaalyado,” he added.

RELATED VIDEOS

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: MRT, Politics, true state of the nation address, Tsona, Vice President Jejomar Binay
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.