Never say never again? Bongbong ponders if it’s a go in 2016
“I have been hearing that since I was three.”
Sen. Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. cracked the joke when pressed by reporters if there were calls for him to run for president in the 2016 elections.
In an interview on Wednesday, Marcos said he appreciated those urging him to run as the country’s chief executive, but he stressed that pursuing the top national post should not be taken lightly as it would require a lot of thinking.
“I think I will not stop hearing [those calls] until I die,” said Marcos, whose father ruled the country for more than two decades.
“It is something that I listen to, and I appreciate the support, but there are so many, many elements in deciding,” he added.
Still mum on whether he would seek higher office next year, Marcos said he is yet to come up with a decision until October, highlighting the importance of support from a political party.
“Ang pagtakbo sa national position, kahit anong national position, kailangan na kailangan ‘yung tulong ng isang matibay at malawak na party machinery,” said Marcos, a member of Nacionalista Party (NP).
Sen. Cynthia Villar, wife of NP president and former senator Many Villar, previously said the party would support potential candidates in 2016, but without the assurance of a financial aid for campaigns.
“In the political analysis, you have to include the idea of which ways the parties are going to be involved in the 2016 elections,” Marcos added.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.