Changes in NCRPO will not affect SONA security preparations
The lack of permanent chief in the National Capital Region Police Office will not affect the security preparations for President Benigno Aquino III’s final State of the Nation Address (SONA) on July 27, Monday.
Philippine National Police chief Director General Ricardo Marquez said changes in the Metro Manila police will be effected after the President delivers his last SONA at the Batasang Pambansa in Quezon City where the PNP will be fielding thousands of policemen in anticipation of mass actions on Monday.
“It will not be operationally sound to pluck out somebody on the ground few days from (SONA day) when we are going to provide security and peace and order,” Marquez said in his first press conference as PNP chief at Camp Crame on Wednesday.
He also noted that the PNP leaders met with the Presidential Security Group to discuss further the security coverage plan for SONA.
No specific threats were also monitored, according to Chief Superintendent Generoso Cerbo, Directorate for Intelligence chief said in the same briefing.
The former chief of the NCRPO Police Director Carmelo Valmoria retired last week. Replacing him for the meantime is the NCRPO’s deputy chief for administration Chief Superintendent Allen Bantolo as officer in charge.
Police sources said Chief Superintendent Joel Pagdilao, director of Quezon City Police District, is being considered for the NCRPO chief post. Incidentally, Pagdilao is the ground commander for the SONA.
But Marquez assured that vacancies in the PNP will be immediately filled up once the Senior Officers Placement and Promotion Board, the unit that assesses the qualification of police officers recommended to certain positions, finishes their deliberation.
After the assessment, the SOPPB will then submit a shortlist of candidates to the National Police Commission.
“Our officers tasked to lead the security preparations for SONA are well-experienced, so I believe our security operations for SONA will be successful,” Marquez said.
With the retirement of Deputy Director General Leonardo Espina last July 19, there had been vacancies in the positions in the PNP command group and units under it.
Marquez vacated the Directorate for Operations chief post when he was appointed as PNP chief. He was replaced by former Northern Police District Chief Superintendent Jonathan Miano. Miano will be temporarily replaced by Senior Superintendent Job Marasigan.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.