12-year-old boy is 10th patient-victim of macapuno candies
A 12-year-old boy was the tenth high school student to be admitted at the Quirino Memorial Medical Center (QMMC) for falling ill after eating macapuno candies, a hospital official said on Saturday.
Dr. Jojo Mercado said the boy was admitted at the pediatric intensive care unit Friday afternoon, a day after nine others from Juan Sumulong High School were confined for suspected food poisoning.
READ: 9 QC students fall ill after eating macapuno candies; 6 sent to ICU
A still unidentified man in his 20s had sold the mostly macapuno candies by going from classroom to classroom.
“At first, the boy just ignored the symptoms, he put up with the pain. Then he must have learned through media interviews what the symptoms mean so they sought consultation,” Mercado said.
The doctor on Friday said the working impression of pediatricians was pesticide poisoning. It will be confirmed through the blood samples sent to the Philippine General Hospital and the candy samples sent to the Food and Drug Administration. The test results are expected on Monday.
The boy’s condition had improved and he was set to be transferred to the pediatric ward Saturday afternoon, together with eight others transferred on Friday, Mercado said.
Four of the students would be discharged Saturday afternoon while the other four were still being observed as they complained of intermittent stomach pains, the doctor said.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.