Food poisoning again? Ma, 7 kids hospitalized after eating cake
The children aged 3 to 12 and pupils of Pakiad Elementary School in Oton, as well as Evelyn Mirasol, 56, were brought to the Western Visayas Medical Center in Iloilo City.
Gerry Gayoma, Pakiad Elementary School principal, said the cake with ube (purple yam) and chocolate filling was sold by the mother of one of the pupils of the Pakiad Elementary School.
Mirasol ate the cake brought home by her daughter.
The victims were brought to the hospital from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. after they fell ill and experienced loose bowel movement, weakness and vomiting, according to initial police investigation.
PO2 Ma. Ellen Doliguez of Oton police Women and Children’s protection desk, said five were confined at the Western Visayas Medical Center. The rest were under observation.
The five were siblings Micha and Frednel Castillo, siblings John Arken and John Yuan Estil, and John Fritz Gilladoga.
Siblings Eljhay Len and Eljhay Nino Jamoles and Mirasol were placed under observation.
Dr. Jesse Glen Alonsabe, Department of Health in Western Visayas spokesperson, said samples of the ube chocolate roll were sent to Research Institute for Tropical Medicine in Manila for laboratory tests. Results would be released after two days.
This is the latest suspected case of food poisoning following the death of a milk tea shop owner and a customer in Manila and the illness of close to 2,000 people who consumed durian candies in Mindanao.