Gov’t failure to file 3rd batch of pork scam cases slammed | Inquirer News
Close  

Gov’t failure to file 3rd batch of pork scam cases slammed

/ 07:14 PM June 26, 2015

The Aquino administration is “brave to use the entire government apparatus to ram political opponents but timid to prosecute decadent allies,” Atty. Levito Baligod, former lawyer of pork barrel scam whistle blower Benhur Luy, said in a text message sent Friday.

Baligod’s statement came after Justice Secretary Leila de Lima denied that there was selective justice in the Aquino government as alleged by Vice President Jejomar Binay.

ADVERTISEMENT

He expressed disappointment over the government’s failure to file the third batch of pork barrel scam-related cases.

Last April, De Lima said that the third batch of pork barrel scam related cases was no longer a priority of her office. But after getting flak from various sectors, she took back her words and said the cases would be finalized in two weeks.

FEATURED STORIES

But after two weeks, the DOJ chief again deferred the filing of the cases, claiming they need more affidavits.

Administration allies were implicated in the third batch of pork scam case including Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA) director general Joel Villanueva, Cagayan De Oro Rep. Rufus Rodriguez and former Pangasinan Rep. Rachel Arenas.

On the other hand, Budget Secretary Florencio “Butch” Abad was included in the so-called “Napolist” submitted by alleged PDAF scam mastermind Janet Lim-Napoles to De Lima early last year along with her supposedly tell-all testimony on the multibillion-peso racket.

“It is selective justice, it is immoral, and it is graft and corruption in itself,” Baligod said.

“I am very disappointed, especially on the ruse “na kulang pa ang affidavits” because every evidence needed is with DOJ already. Secretary De Lima herself confirmed in her June 13, 2014 public statement that the evidence is already complete,” Baligod said.

Atty. Vicente Joyas, head of the Integrated Bar of the Philippines, the 55,000-strong mandatory organization of lawyers in the country, added that “we are still under a cloud of surprise why is there such a delay. There appears to be a selective justice. We are all aware there are many people involved and yet only three senators were charged.” AU

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Benigno "Noynoy" Aquino III, DoJ, Leila de Lima, Levito Baligod, News, pork barrel scam, selective justice
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.