Building 14 for Bilibid’s high-risk inmates to be completed within July—prison official
The 19 high-profile convicts who were temporarily transferred to the National Bureau of Investigation headquarters in Manila after a series of raids in their kubols (huts) in the New Bilibid Prison in 2014 may find themselves back in the prison facility in Muntinlupa soon.
In an interview on Wednesday, NBP Supt. Richard Schwarzkopf said the P30 million renovation of NBP’s Building 14 — where the 19, mostly drug lords, would be transferred upon completion — would “definitely” be finished “this month or next month.”
“Although we really can’t say when exactly the building will be finished. One year though is already too long (a time for the renovation to be completed),” Schwarzkopf said over the phone.
According to Schwarzkopf, authorities are making sure that the building that is “attached” to the maximum security compound and served as a “confinement extension” prior to the start of its renovation will be “livable,” with the proper ventilation.
“We still can’t say what special features to include for security purposes but these will be befitting of a prison (angkop sa isang kulungan),” he said.
Newly installed Bureau of Corrections director general Ricardo Rainier Cruz III said in an ambush interview at the NBP headquarters on Tuesday that apart from the 19, other inmates “discovered to be involved in drugs” would be segregated in Building 14.
He said this segregation was part of his strategy aimed at achieving the goal of a 100-percent drug-free facility that would be in line with Justice Secretary Leila de Lima’s vision.
“Then maybe (there should be) control of communication. I think that’s the only way (some inmates) can transact business–through their communication gadgets,” he said.
He said his strategy would include the “continuous education” of prison guards “for the improvement of their skills.”
Schwarzkopf said Building 14 has been designed to accommodate 58 individuals.
Renovation plans for the building took shape in December last year after the NBI led by De Lima held the raids in the maximum security compound that led to the discovery of contraband, including drugs and money, in the kubols of the 19 inmates.
News handpicked by our editors
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.