Demolition in Caloocan turns violent
Violence erupted on Tuesday at the Calaanan compound in Caloocan City after informal settlers hurled stones and bottles and allegedly fired shots at police authorities over the ongoing demolition of their houses.
At least three policemen were hurt during the violent demolition, which was based on the writ of demolition order issued by Judge Eleanor Ong of the Caloocan Regional Trial Court branch 128.
In a text message to INQUIRER.net, Chief Superintendent Jonathan Miano, Northern Police District (NPD) director, said PO1 Virgilio Cabangis suffered an injury when a bullet from a homemade gun (sumpak) hit his left thigh.
Two other police officers suffered shoulder injuries when they were pelted with rocks and pieces of wood by angry residents.
Policemen hurt were personnel of the NPD’s public safety battalion.
Rescue teams immediately treated the injured policemen while Cabangis was brought to the Manila Central University hospital. According to Miano, Cabangis has been declared out of danger by the attending physicians.
Meanwhile, a DZMM report said police arrested Caloocan residents Junel Orlando, who allegedly fired the improvised firearm, and Edwin Cantos for allegedly throwing rocks at police officers.
As of posting, police said that the situation is now under control and that the demolition is “proceeding peacefully and resistance had been reduced to a minimum.” IDL
Originally posted as of 9:34 AM | Tuesday, May 26, 2015