Mar Roxas still Aquino’s top choice as his successor in 2016
Interior Secretary Mar Roxas remains the top choice of President Aquino III as his successor in 2016 despite rumors that Roxas will slide down as the administration’s vice presidential bet to give way for neophyte Sen. Grace Poe.
During an interview following his inspection of classrooms at the Marikina Elementary School in Marikina City on Monday, Aquino backed Roxas for the upcoming elections, saying that he has been a valuable member of the Cabinet.
He said that he found the rumors on Roxas sliding for Poe for the presidency as “strange.”
“He has demonstrated quite a wide range of expertise in so many different assignments. He is a valuable member of the Cabinet. He has been a staunch leader of the party even during the days that we are in the opposition. And he has demonstrated the ability to sacrifice. Previously, for instance, when he gave way to me. So all of these traits should point out that he is — to my mind, as far as our coalition is concerned–at the top of the list,” Aquino said.
The President said that LP will announce their decision regarding their standard bearers for the 2016 polls after his last State of the Nation Address (Sona) in July.
Aquino kept mum when asked whether he prefers a Poe-Roxas tandem or a Roxas-Poe pairing.
Meanwhile, the President said that maintaining Vice President Binay’s lead in opinion surveys rests on how Binay can answer the corruption charges against him.
Binay led the most recent Social Weather Stations electoral survey with 36 percent of respondents preferring him as Aquino’s successor. Trailing behind him is Grace Poe with 31 percent followed by Roxas and Davao City mayor Rodrigo Duterte tied in third place with 15 percent. AU
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.