Close  

MILF re-validating ‘loopholes’ in own Mamasapano report

Moro Islamic Liberation Front chief peace negotiator Mohagher Iqbal  INQUIRER FILE PHOTO/RAFFY LERMA

Moro Islamic Liberation Front chief peace negotiator Mohagher Iqbal INQUIRER FILE PHOTO/RAFFY LERMA

SULTAN KUDARAT, Maguindanao – The Moro Islamic Liberation Front’s (MILF) own investigation on the Mamasapano debacle had wrapped up but it would be undergoing re-validation and revisions before it can be submitted to the International Monitoring Team (IMT), the rebel group’s chief negotiator said.

The Malaysian-led IMT monitors the implementation of the government and the MILF ceasefire agreement, as well as oversee the protection of civilians in conflict zones and their rehabilitation and development under the socio-economic component of the Comprehensive Agreement on the Bangsamoro.

ADVERTISEMENT

READ: Full report: The Mamasapano incident

Mohagher Iqbal told the Inquirer on Saturday that MILF chair Murad Ebrahim has directed the rebel group’s investigating team to re-validate and revise its findings because there were discrepancies in the individual output of its members.

FEATURED STORIES

He did not say what the discrepancies were but added that the MILF probe team had been sent back to Mamasapano for the conduct of verification and validation of data.

“He ordered our team to re-validate data. It won’t take long and it will be available by next week,” Iqbal said.

“Actually, the MILF probe was done but we found some loopholes so chairman Murad directed the probe team to return to Mamasapano and counter-check some facts,” Iqbal also said in a radio interview here.

He said the probe should have been completed earlier but it was stalled by the operations against the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) in Mamasapano.

“Malapit na, malapit na,” Iqbal said, maintaining that the full report will be for the IMT alone. Those interested in what the report contains will be provided the executive summary only.

Revealing some of the initial findings, Iqbal said the probe team found out that only 17 MILF fighters were killed – not 18 as earlier reported – during the January 25 police commando operations against suspected international terrorist Malaysian Zulkifli bin Hir and his Filipino aide Basit Usman.

Also the MILF probe team found out that only three civilians were killed on the day and not five as reported in the media, Iqbal said.

ADVERTISEMENT

As this developed, Bayan Muna Representatives Neri Colmenares and Carlos Zarate said the Philippine National Police’s Board of Inquiry failed to pursue the command responsibility and liabilities of President Aquino in its investigation of the Mamasapano debacle.

“While, the BOI report contains facts that are already disclosed to the public, it fails to put the main burden of accountability on the most responsible for the operation who is Pres. Aquino himself,” Colmenares said.

He said the BOI report has deliberately understated Aquino’s direct responsibility when he “illegally” authorized Purisima to act as PNP chief during his suspension and allowing unlawful US involvement in the police operation.

“When Aquino broke the chain of command, he has taken direct and command responsibility over Gen. Napenas, SAF’s and AFP’s actions, inactions and failures,” Zarate said.

Zarate said the “the shortcomings of the BOI report all the more emboldens us to push for the immediate resumption of the Congress Mamasapano probe and we hope that we can hold even one hearing next week.”

Vencer Crisostomo, Anakbayan national chair, also agreed that Congress should resume the hearings to “stop the government’s yellow-washing of the truth on Mamasapano.”

READ: Walden Bello cuts ties with Palace over Mamasapano ‘cover-up’

“Congress should reopen the hearings and should not allow itself, led by Speaker Sonny Belmonte to be complicit to the yellow-washing and lies. The BOI is further proof that the Aquino government is engaged in a grand cover-up scheme. There is growing call from the public for truth, accountability and justice,” Crisostomo said.

Ninety-two lawmakers had so far signed a letter to House Speaker Sonny Belmonte, asking for the resumption of the hearings.

RELATED STORIES

Jaafar: It’s final, only KL gets MILF report

Why is the MILF submitting its report to Malaysia?

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: board of inquiry, BOI, BOI report, International Monitoring Team, investigation, Maguindanao, Mamasapano, MILF, Mohagher Iqbal, Moro Islamic Liberation Front, Murad Ebrahim, Oplan Exodus
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.