SAF 44 kin fear 'scripted' PNP BOI report on Mamasapano clash | Inquirer News
Close  

SAF 44 kin fear ‘scripted’ PNP BOI report on Mamasapano clash

MANILA, Philippines – Scripted.

This was how Dona Sumbilla-Navarro, the older sister of slain Special Action Force commando, PO3 John Lloyd Sumbilla, described the Philippine National Police (PNP) Board of Inquiry (BOI) report on the Mamasapano debacle, which was expected to be released on Monday (Mar. 9).

ADVERTISEMENT

Sumbilla was one of the 44 Special Action Force (SAF) commandos who died in an encounter with Moro rebels after killing suspected terrorist Zulkifli Bin Hir, alias Marwan, and attempting but failing to arrest suspected bomber Basit Usman in Mamasapano, Maguindanao, on Jan. 25.

“Parang scripted na po yung lalabas bukas kasi ang balita namin bago ilabas, babasahin muna ni President Aquino. (What will come out tomorrow is probably scripted because, as we have heard, President Aquino would read it first),” Navarro said in an interview after the SAF 44 march for justice on Sunday.

FEATURED STORIES

“If the SAF 44 were alive, perhaps they would even be blamed for what happened,” she said.

Navarro added his brother and the rest of the SAF officers might have been brought to the court-martial and investigated if they did not die.

One of reasons the House of Representatives postponed last month the congressional probe on the Mamasapano carnage was the blame game between the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) and the PNP.

But for Sumbilla’s mother Telly, it was clear that his son was abandoned by his superiors.

“The SAF 44 were ordered to go there but they were left there,” Telly said in the interview.

“When they asked for help, no one helped them,” she said.

The Aquino administration could not “undo” the Mamasapano fiasco. But the least it can give justice to the fallen elite officers, the 62-year-old mother said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Her daughter, Dona Sumbilla-Navarro, said justice could only be achieved if the truth came out and those who were responsible for the tragedy were held accountable.

Even after the release of the BOI findings, Telly said they would continue to seek for truth and justice.

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: accountability, atrocity, Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters, Basit Usman, Benigno "Noynoy" Aquino III, bloodshed, carnage, Ceasefire, clash, command responsibility, covert operations, Crime, Dona Sumbilla-Navarro, Encounter, fact finding, families of slain SAF troops, gun battle, inquiry, investigation, John Lloyd Sumbilla, Justice, law, law enforcement, Maguindanao, Mamasapano, Mamasapano mission, manhunt for terrorists, Marwan, Massacre, massacre of policemen, Moro Islamic Liberation Front, multiple murder, Murder, News, peace process, Philippine National Police, Philippine president, PNP board of inquiry, pursuit operations, SAF 44, Special Action Force, Telly Sumbilla, Zulkifli bin Hir
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

News that matters

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.