Fire razes 5 houses near 2 universities in Naga City
NAGA CITY, Philippines—Five houses located near two universities here in Barangay (village) Abella were razed in a 30-minute fire on Tuesday morning, a fire official said.
Investigation showed the fire, which started at 10:55 a.m. in a house owned by former barangay chair Angel Gonzales, was caused by faulty electrical wiring, said Chief Insp. Alberto de Baguio, head of Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP)–Naga City.
He said all of the houses, which were made of light materials, were located along Bayawas Street near University of Nueva Caceres and Ateneo de Naga University.
The fire was put out at 11:30 a.m. with help from fire stations in nearby Milaor town and volunteer fire brigades Chin Po Tong and Naga White.
De Baguio said most of the structures along Bayawas Street were declared residential homes and commercial buildings with sari-sari stores and canteens but some were converted into dwellings for transient students.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.