DSWD continues assistance to ‘Seniang’ victims
MANILA, Philippines—The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) is continuing its assistance to victims of Typhoon “Seniang,” particularly in the Visayas and Caraga regions.
As of Thursday, the agency has provided a total of 33,443 family food packs and 4,000 nonfood items through local government units in the affected regions.
In a statement, the agency said all evacuation centers have been closed as the evacuees had already gone back to their homes.
In Central Visayas, the DSWD has given 8,846 food packs and food items such as water and biscuits.
Social welfare Secretary Corazon Soliman said they are continuously coordinating with local government units and national agencies for other needed social services.
Nonfood items like blankets, mats, and mosquito nets were distributed to affected families in Cebu City, Tagbilaran City, and the towns of Alcantara, Barili, Dumanjug, Ronda, Bohol, Antequera, Cortes, Loay, Loboc, Loon, Maribojoc, Pres. C.P. Garcia, and Siquijor.
In Barangay Mercedes, Catbalogan City, Samar, where 21 people were killed in a landslide on December 30, the DSWD gave P10,000 to each affected family.
This is aside from the P5,000 cash assistance to the eight people from the same town who were injured during the wrath of the typhoon. The lone fatality in Calabian town was also given cash assistance.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.