Cash rewards for tipsters in Enzo Pastor slay case came from private donors – Duterte
DAVAO CITY, Philippines – Mayor Rodrigo Duterte explained that the reward money given to the tipsters, who informed police on the whereabouts of the alleged killers of car racer Ferdinand “Enzo” Pastor, came from the same private donors who previously raised the amount for the arrest of alleged carjacker Ryan Yu, also known as Baktin (piglet).
Duterte made the explanation after some individuals he failed to name insinuated on their Facebook accounts he could have taken the amount from government coffers.
Duterte said he requested the private donors interested in the arrest of Yu to channel the money for the arrest of Pastor’s killer, after Yu voluntarily surrendered to the police.
“They no longer have any use of the money so, I asked them if we can channel it to those who can help us track the killers of Pastor, they consented,” Duterte said.
Duterte, a close friend of Pastor, was earlier criticized by the Commission on Human Rights (CHR) after he announced he was giving P1-million in cash reward to those who could provide police with information that would lead to the arrest of Yu, P2 million who could bring in Yu dead, and P4 million if they could cut off Yu’s head and bring it to him.
Duterte personally turned over the P1 million to two tipsters in the Enzo Pastor slay case in Camp Crame on Monday, November 10, but after criticisms on Facebook came out, he said those who failed to understand that he got the money from private donors “must have had a father who stole money from the government.”
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.