Joseph Estrada to revive expanded truck ban if…
MANILA, Philippines—Manila’s expanded truck ban, which was largely blamed for the congestion in the Port of Manila, could soon make a comeback.
“If, after maybe two months, I see that the traffic situation in the city is in chaos again, I can order that (ban) to be imposed again. Nothing can stop me,” Mayor Joseph Estrada said in an interview Wednesday.
The former president pointed out that when he lifted the ban “indefinitely” on Sept. 19 through Executive Order 67, the lifting was “not permanent (and) we can have it implemented again anytime.”
Estrada explained that he agreed to lift the ban in response to calls from businessmen who had cargo piling up at the ports due to slowed trucking operations.
“This shows that we also listen to the pleas of our businessmen. A group previously approached me and I said I will grant that request, but the lifting of the ban would have to be indefinite. I can bring it back any time, especially if traffic worsens,” he said.
With the restriction now gone, trucks of any size and weight can pass through any street in Manila any time. Under the ban, which was enforced for seven months starting in February, eight-wheel trucks and those with a payload heavier than 4,500 kilos are not allowed to enter the city between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m.
The mayor lifted the truck ban after the national government established Task Force Pantalan to ease the buildup of uncollected freight containers at the port.
The task force is composed of the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA), the National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) and local governments in the metropolis, and is headed by Chief Supt. Allen Bantolo, deputy director for operations of the NCRPO.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.