Close  

Remains of Malaysian MH17 victims to be flown home

/ 06:11 PM August 19, 2014

Malaysians pray during a special prayer for the victims of Malaysia Airlines Flight 17, in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia, Sunday, July 20, 2014. Malaysia’s transport minister said the country is “deeply concerned” that the site in Ukraine where the Malaysia Airlines jetliner was shot down with 298 people onboard “has not been properly secured.” AP/Vincent Thian

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia — Malaysia’s defense minister says the remains of at least 16 people killed when a jetliner was shot down over Ukraine last month will be returned to Malaysia this week.

All 298 people onboard died when Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 was shot down July 17. It was heading to Kuala Lumpur from Amsterdam and was shot down over an area of eastern Ukraine controlled by pro-Russia separatists.

ADVERTISEMENT

The victims included 43 Malaysians and 195 Dutch nationals.

With fighting between the rebels and Ukrainian forces ongoing near the crash site, victims’ remains were gathered and sent to the Netherlands for identification.

Malaysian Defense Minister Hishammuddin Hussein said Tuesday the remains of at least 15 Malaysian victims of the disaster and one Dutch national would arrive in Kuala Lumpur on Friday.

RELATED STORY:

First MH17 crash report ‘in weeks’–Dutch investigators

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Airplane Crash, international, Malaysia Airlines, MH17, News
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.