Close  

CA junks Napoles motion vs Luy

By: - Reporter / @JeromeAningINQ
/ 07:03 AM July 15, 2014
Court-of-Appeals-building

The Court of Appeals. FILE PHOTO

MANILA, Philippines–The Court of Appeals (CA) has dismissed with finality the plea of alleged pork barrel scam mastermind Janet Lim-Napoles to have the serious illegal detention case filed against her by whistle-blower Benhur Luy.

In a two-page resolution dated July 8, the appellate court’s Former Special Third Division dismissed for lack of merit Napoles’ motion for reconsideration, saying the issues that she raised were a rehash and of issues that had been passed upon in the CA’s original decision issued in March.

ADVERTISEMENT

“The issues raised in the instant motion have already been judiciously evaluated and passed upon in our aforementioned decision. We, therefore, find no compelling reason to modify or reverse the same,” the resolution, written by Justice Ramon Garcia, said.

Division members Justices Rebecca de Guia-Salvador and Vicente Veloso concurred in the ruling.

FEATURED STORIES

The appeals tribunal reiterated that it could not find any error committed on the part of the prosecutors and the Department of Justice Task Force on Anti-Kidnapping in filing the case against Napoles and her brother Reynald Lim.

There was no grave abuse of discretion committed by the Makati City Regional Trial Court either when it issued warrants of arrest for Napoles and her brother, the court said.

The case stemmed from a complaint filed by Luy against Napoles, his estranged cousin and former employer, whom he accused of forcibly detaining him for two months from December 2012.

Napoles reportedly got mad at Luy after she discovered that he had secured a P5.5-million loan using her name and without authorization. She also accused Luy of stealing P300,000.

Luy, however, countered that he was detained by Napoles to prevent him from exposing her transactions involving lawmakers’ congressional pork barrel—officially called the Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF)—to the tune of P10 billion, which was reportedly siphoned through phony nongovernment organizations she founded.

ADVERTISEMENT
Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Benhur Luy, Court of Appeals (CA), Janet Lim Napoles, serious illegal detention
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.