Aquino on all-star cast of Revilla’s witnesses | Inquirer News
Close  

Aquino on all-star cast of Revilla’s witnesses

/ 02:47 AM July 10, 2014

MANILA, Philippines–Sen. Bong Revilla is thinking of a defense in his plunder and graft case in the Sandiganbayan with an all-star cast.

The movie-actor-turned-politician informed the Sandiganbayan First Division on Wednesday that he planned to call President Aquino, a former President, a former Senate President, three Cabinet members and the heads of two constitutional bodies, as well as movie and television producers as witnesses in his defense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Revilla did not tell the court what kind of testimony he hoped to get from his witnesses.

Aside from the President, Revilla planned to ask the court to subpoena former President and now Pampanga Rep. Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, Interior Secretary Mar Roxas, Budget Secretary Butch Abad and representatives of the Department of Budget and Management, and Justice Secretary Leila de Lima and agents of the National Bureau of Investigation who investigated his case.

FEATURED STORIES

Ombudsman, too

He also listed Ombudsman Conchita Carpio Morales and Ombudsman field investigators, Commission on Audit (COA) Chair Grace Pulido-Tan and state auditors as well as former Budget Secretary and now Camarines Norte Rep. Rolando Andaya among his witnesses.

Revilla said he also planned to present the Senate President and the Senate finance committee chair during the years when he allegedly channeled his pork barrel funds into ghost projects proposed by Janet Lim-Napoles, the alleged brains behind the P10-billion pork barrel scam.

He said he also planned to call as witnesses the mayors who had been interviewed by government investigators.

Curiously, Revilla included among his witnesses GMA 7 network, where he has a show.

Revilla submitted his preliminary list of witnesses during the pretrial conference Wednesday.

According to court procedures, people subpoenaed by the court can refuse to serve as witnesses if they believe they do not have relevant information.

ADVERTISEMENT

Revilla said he would present 264 documents to support his defense.

Witnesses vs. Jinggoy

Also on Wednesday, government prosecutors said they would present 24 witnesses, including whistle-blowers Benhur Luy, Marina Sula and Merlina Suñas, to oppose the bail petition of Sen. Jinggoy Estrada.

The Office of the Special Prosecutor also informed the Sandiganbayan Fifth Division that they would present accused-turned-state witness Ruby Tuason to show the government’s case against Estrada was strong.

They will also present representatives of various government agencies, including the COA, the NBI and the Securities and Exchange Commission, they said.

Among the documentary evidence to be presented are the special audit report of the COA, the special allotment release orders (Saros) from 2008 to 2009 and notices of cash allocation, they said.

RELATED STORY

Revilla wants Aquino at witness stand in ‘pork’ scam trial

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Benigno Aquino III, Bong Revilla, Plunder, pork barrel scam, witnesses
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

News that matters

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.